top of page
Ping Pong
  • Writer's pictureFagothethird Franklin

Sky Edges Sun in Double OT 101-95

Chicago- The Sky gets a win in double OT to take Game 1 against the Sun.

After shocking the Lynx in the second round, the Chicago Sky had a date with the number one ranked team in the WNBA in the Connecticut Sun. The Sky got out to a pretty fast start and had the Sun on their heads early on. Allie Quigley got the party started with scoring eight points and was 2 out 3 from long range. Despite a good start for Chicago, four turnovers late started a 8-2 rumble from the Sun, which cut their lead to three at the end of the first, 24-21.

In the second, Chicago tried to contain Jonquel Jones, but Jones caught fire. Jones started a 10-4 run and was closing the Sky's deficit in a hurry. Chicago's offense sputtered just a bit in the quarter, but got a spark from Candace Parker late, who put fire under her teammates butt for turning the ball over. The Sky went on a 10-4 run to close out the second, clinging onto a one-point lead, 47-46.

The second half for the Sky was very entertaining. The Sky had cut down their turnovers and got back to playing sound ball. Their defense stiffened and caught the Sun slipping. Chicago got the steals that they needed in order to take a five point lead in the third. Turnovers and ticky tacky fouls haunted the Sky early in the fourth, but their superb three point shooting kept the Sun at bay. They were shooting around 47% from three point land.

Down by two with only 24 seconds left in the game, Kahleah Copper had a chance to ice the game with hitting three free throws. She made 2 out of 3 which gave the Sun another crack to break the Sun's heart. Chicago stopped the Sun on their last possession to take the game into Overtime.

Once again, the Sky faced a little adversity, down by one with only 56.8 second left in OT, Copper comes through. Coming off a cut, Copper found herself streaking to the rim with a wide-open layup to go up one. After the Sun hit 1 out 2 on their free throws, the Sky had the opportunity to play for a game wining shot. The ball was stolen by the Sun, but the Sky blocked a last heave to go into a second OT.

Both teams struggled to get anything going in the net until the Sky went on a 6-2 run to finally escape with the victory to take Game 1.

5 views0 comments
bottom of page