top of page
  • Writer's pictureFagothethird Franklin

The Chiefs did just enough to hold off the Saints in the fourth quarter, 32-29

Kansas City- The Chiefs offense were too much for the Saints, as they continue their quest for home-field advantage.

The Chiefs' defense had an impact in the first half. On the Saints' second possession, Kansas City forced Drew Brees to throw an interception in tight coverage. A few plays later, Patrick Mahomes snuck a quick pass to Tyreek Hill at the goaline for a touchdown mid-way in the first, 7-0.

Even though Mahomes was in consistent pressure, he was finding holes in the Saints' secondary. He was spreading the wealth to his play makers and they were making plays after catching the ball. Mahomes threw his second touchdown of the day to Travis Kelce to extend the Chiefs' lead at the start of the second quarter, 14-0.

Kansas City's defense was caught napping on a third and long mid-way in the quarter. Drew Brees took advantage of one on one coverage and threw a 51-yard bomb to Emmanuel Sanders. A few players later, the Saints got on the board with a touchdown and cut the Chiefs' lead to a one possession game, 14-7.

Late into the quarter, the Chiefs fumbled the ball on a kick return. The ball bounced in the endzone, but a Saints' player knocked it out of play to get a safety instead of a touchdown. With a wild ending to the half, the Chiefs was clinging onto a 14-9 lead.

Kansas City's defense was on skates at the start of the third quarter. The Saints marched down the field and scored a touchdown to take the lead for the first time, 15-14. The Chiefs answered the Saints' touchdown with a touchdown of their own. Mahomes threw a touchdown strike to Mecole Hardman to retake the lead, 21-15.

The Chiefs got fancy on their next touchdown at the start of the fourth. Mahomes faked like he was going to run and pitched it to Hill for the seven-yard touchdown to build a comfortable lead, 29-15.

Everything was going well for the Chiefs until, the Saints' defense forced a fumble early in the quarter. It took New Orleans .60 seconds to score a touchdown to cut the Chiefs' lead down, 29-22. Midway in the quarter, the Chiefs kicked a field goal to go up 32-22.

Before the two minute warning, Drew Brees hit Lil' Jordan Humphrey for a 17-yard touchdown to make the game very interesting and give themselves a shot against the Chiefs, 32-29. Mahomes iced the game with two first downs to escape with a victory.

Mahomes finished the game with 254 yards and 3 touchdowns.


bottom of page