top of page
  • Writer's pictureFagothethird Franklin

Steelers shocked by Washington, 23-17

Pittsburgh- The Steelers undefeated season has ended with a loss to the Football Team, 23-17

In the first half against the Football Team, the Steelers' offense sputtered until the second quarter. With under 11 minutes left in the half, Ben Roethlisberger threw a four-yard touchdown strike to Diontae Johnson to put the Steerlers up 7-0 over the Football Team. After a three and out by Washington, the Steelers smelled blood and went after Washington's defense.

"Big Ben" threw a tough pass to Chase Claypool in traffic to put them in the redzone midway in the quarter. A couple of plays later, the Steelers were stuffed on a fourth and goal at the one-yard line and walked away without a score.

Before the end of the quarter, Pittsburgh scored their second touchdown of the day. At the end of the half, the Steelers had a 14-3 lead over Washington.

Things got interesting in the second half. The Steelers defense gave up some big plays down the field on Washington's first possession in the third quarter. A crucial penalty on a fourth and goal by the Steelers helped Washington get a new set of downs. Washington punched the ball in the endzone and cut Pittsburgh's lead to four, 14-10.

Despite four drops from the Steelers in the quarter, they tacked on a 37-yard field goal to start the fourth, 17-10. Midway in the quarter, Pittsburgh left a wide open Logan Thomas in the back of endzone, as the Football team scored a touchdown to tie up the game 17-17.

On a crucial fourth and one late in the half, Pittsburgh did not convert the down. The Football Team went down the field and cashed in on a 45-yard field goal to take the lead with two minutes left in regulation, 20-17.

On the Steelers' next drive, Big Ben tried to his his running back on a flat route, but it was tipped in the air. Washington intercepted the ball. A couple plays later, Washington ran out the clock to end the Steelers' dreams of an undefeated season.


bottom of page